Subject: Re: Problems trying to debug pkgsrc/mail/milter-greylist
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/02/2007 05:13:52
On Nov 22, 2007, at 03:14, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> 4.0 still uses SA threads and AFAIK SA threads never worked well on
> sparc64. The situation improved a lot when -current switched to a new
> threading model a while back. E.g. firefox was unusable on sparc64
> with
> SA threads but runs quit nice on -current with the new non-SA threads.
>
> So, if you want / need to use a threaded application you have to
> switch
> either to -current on sparc64 or to an other machine architecture
> if you
> want / need to stay at 4.0. :-(

   Would it be possible, and potentially valuable, to keep running a 4.0
userland, and run a -current (or something closer to HEAD) kernel and
a matching pthread library for such?  Or, is that sort of version-mixing
just too much to work?

   milter-greylist isn't very usable for me right now, because it
crashes
somewhere [I believe] due to the pthreads code.  They're pretty much
all with libmilter calls in the backtrace, too, so perhaps any milter
would fail, threaded or no.

                         - Chris