Subject: Re: SMP status
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Gert Doering <gert@greenie.muc.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/22/2007 14:36:04
Hi,

a few weeks ago, Martin Husemann wrote:
> I think a -current GENERIC.MP kernel should be able to boot into
> single user shell on all supported machines. Beware, it will crash
> soon if you do serious stuff ;-)
>
> If you have a MP machine, it would be good if you could test this and
> tell me if it crashes before reaching the shell prompt.

I finally came around to test this.

 - GENERIC.MP from today's -current CVS
 - Ultra 60, 2x 450 MHz CPU
 - no non-standard hardware in the system
 - no keyboard or monitor connected -> serial console

Kernel boots, initializes hardware, and locates the root filesystem:

root on sd0a dumps on sd0b
root file system type: ffs

- and that's it.  No more messages, no more activity.  <BREAK> from the
serial terminal does NOT work at this place.  It's just dead.

[This might not be SMP related at all, but just a generic -current issue -
I'll build a GENERIC kernel and try whether that one breaks as well.  The
machine is normally running something older, 4.99.17 or so]

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de