Subject: Re: SATA controller recommendation for sparc64
To: None <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@pobox.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/14/2007 20:29:53
jakllsch@kollasch.net wrote:
> If the driver was in NetBSD, and was more mature, I'd probably
> recommend a SiI3124-based card.  That or a PCI/PCI-X AHCI, which
> AFAICT doesn't exist.  This mostly because they could eventually
> support port multipliers and NCQ.  Of course OFW doesn't grok
> these controllers, like it can a pciide(4)-compatible controller.

That would be nice, but I hadn't thought of the issue with OFW non-
grokkage (I currently boot of a SiI680 with no problems); that could
be solved by putting a small system disk in the machine on the on-
board controller to boot off of, but that's more of a pain.

Thanks for the hints re: port multipliers and NCQ though -- I'm learning
more about the differences in the various SATA-descended things ;)

--rafal