Subject: Re: Problem installing 3.1 on Ultra 5
To: Jack Lawry <netbsd@spambob.com>
From: Michael-John Turner <mj@turner.org.za>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 09/20/2007 18:45:18
On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 04:10:23AM -0700, Jack Lawry wrote:
> I'm having a strange problem installing NetBSD 3.1 from cd on an Ultra 5. I
> boot using "boot cdrom" and everything loads fine, no errors or anything.
> But once I get to the 'enter your terminal type' screen, I cannot type.
> However, the keyboard is responsive because I can stop-a and get into ddb.

I'm afraid I don't have any good suggestions. What I can say though is that
a few months ago I installed 3.1 onto an U5 from CD-ROM without problem.
Was in fact a NetBSD demo at our local LUG :)

> I'm sure I could get around this with a serial console, but the problem is
> I'd like to use this machine as a temporary workstation - so I kind of need
> the keyboard to work!

Why not do the installation via serial console anyway - after it's done,
you can plug in the keyboard and configure X11, etc as per usual. If another
solution doesn't present itself, it may be worth a try - installations are
quick, even on an U5 :)

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mjturner.net/