Subject: Booting a LiveCD
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 09/20/2007 13:27:27
As you might have noticed, I played around with ofwboot (after running into
a machine where it did not work). While there I tested the CD9660 support,
and it seems to work.

However, it is mostly useless to us. It seems that the PROM will not allow
openeing a CD device without a sunlabel (if anyone knows a trick to do
that, please let me know). Besides that, we would not be able to load
ofwboot from a plain ISO9660 CD anyway, and it would require the user
to "boot cdrom:a".

So we won't get away w/o the cdrom:f partition containing a ffs filesystem
and /ofwboot.

Now next idea was to put a special ofwboot version there, force the boot
partition to :a and pass that to the kernel. However, all OF versions
I tried did not allow to "setprop" something in /chosen.

So we are back to the old state: for a LiveCD we'll need a ffs partition on
cdrom:f which contains /ofwboot and a kernel with "root on cd0a" hardwired.
Not too bad, but slightly ugly.

If anyone has ideas for improvements, please let me know.
If anyone has time and would like to hack the sysutils/mklivecd pkg, that
would be appreciated too.

Martin