Subject: Using RAIDframe as the boot disk(s)
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 09/14/2007 09:08:47
   Hi there.  This is not wholly a sparc64 question, but as that's
the platform I'm going to be trying this on, I wanted to start here.
I have read the manual on installation onto a RAID-1 root disk
(section 15.3 of the NetBSD docs, http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/
chap-rf.html), but this still indicates a system that requires
"faking" a failed disk, then later adding the mirror disk.  I had
thought I'd remembered hearing some chatter some time ago about
making installation onto a RAID-1 set an option of the installation
program?

   Is it still not possible to configure and install onto a RAID-1
from a NetBSD (-current, or netbsd-4) installation CD, without
installing onto a single disk, then "convincing" the RAIDframe system
that it's part of a RAID-1 and so-forth as in the aforementioned
documentation?

   Thanks...  Sometime in the next few days I plan to get NetBSD
4.0_RC1 installed onto a pair of disks in a sparc64.  As I've never
used RAIDframe before, any advice is appreciated.  :-)

                                           - Chris