Subject: Re: sparc64 hardware
To: Kurt J. Lidl <lidl@pix.net>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 09/04/2007 14:47:38
On Sep 4, 2007, at 2:39 PM, Kurt J. Lidl wrote:
>>   The Netra X1 and V100 machines are both 1U and take two IDE
>> drives.  They're limited to 120GB, though.  The Netra T1-105 is a
>> much more "grown up" machine (SCSI, big L2 caches, etc) but no IDE.
>
> Actually, the T1 105 has an onboard IDE controller -- the slim-line
> CD-ROM (if present) on the machine is IDE.  It's possible to replace
> this with a DVD-ROM or DVD-writer drive.  I've done so on one of my
> machines.
> 	http://www.pix.net/staff/lidl/nsfaq/misc/sparc_dvd_rw_upgrade.html
>
> Its probably possible to get rid of the sheet metal under the CD-ROM
> and stuff an IDE drive into the case.  I'm certain that you could put
> a laptop drive into that space.  Of course, you'll almost certainly
> run into the 120GB limit if you run Solaris -- but since you're
> interested in NetBSD, and the current generation laptop drives max
> out at 120GB, it shouldn't be a real problem.

   I'm familiar with that onboard IDE interface...never thought of
stuffing a hard drive in there, though.  I see no reason why it
wouldn't work.

   Speaking of T1-105s...Just this past weekend I set up one of those
machines with NetBSD to use as a NAT box, firewall, and squid cache,
and it's working wonderfully, even with both hme interfaces...the phy
attachment problem that I ran into awhile back has apparently been
solved.  Most excellent.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire