Subject: Re: sparc64 development schedule
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Raymond Meyer <raymond.meyer@rambler.ru>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/21/2007 11:08:39
On Mon, 21 May 2007 10:05:52 +0200
Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> wrote:

> On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 11:16:39PM +0100, Raymond Meyer wrote:
> > [..] What are the
> > major projects that the developers are working on right now, SMP support,
> > USIII support, getting compat_netbsd32 fixed?
>
> Only can speak for myself: SMP is next (we are mostly there), and then
> USIII/+ support.
>
> I have not followed the compat_netbsd32 emulation developement closely, is
> there a lot not working? I thought it would be mostly mount(8), so booting a
> sparc64 with sparc / on NFS would get you a working system (different to
> amd64/i386 we have no problem with device numbers).
>

> Martin

Well there are some bugs in compat_netbsd32, so at the moment it's not possible
to build 32-bit binary packages in chroot with a 64-bit kernel. See the
following emails:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc64/2007/04/16/0001.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc64/2007/04/13/0004.html

There is a lot of software that is not 64-bit clean, it'd be nice to be able to
build and run 32-bit binaries on the same machine.