Subject: Re: NetBSD 3.1 boots on Sun Fire V120
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Michael-John Turner <mj@turner.org.za>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/08/2007 07:03:47
On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 04:51:02PM -0700, Erik E. Fair wrote:
> This is probably not news to the developers hacking the guts of the kernel,
> but I haven't seen it mentioned here or on the NetBSD web site: the Sun Fire
> V120 (Flapjack 2 is the name of the motherboard) boots netbsd just fine. It's
> a faster revision (550 or 650 MHz UltraSPARC IIe) of the Netra T1 model 200
> (500 MHz), and was only recently EOL'd. The Netra T1's are going really cheap
> on eBay lately.

Excellent news.

> If we ever get the UltraSPARC III (3) working, we can move on to the next
> model: Sun Fire V125, which is faster still. I see that OpenBSD has some
> UltraSPARC III systems working...

It seems OpenBSD has made a lot of progress in supporting UltraSPARC-III
systems. AFAIK they have workarounds for most of the chipset bugs and with
4.1 even have L2 cache support. They also have a working Cassini ethernet
driver, which is onboard on a lot of US-III systems. I've been meaning to
tackle porting it for a while now (I have one in my U60), but the round
tuits seem to be lacking...

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mjturner.net/