Subject: Re: X11 on Ultra 2 using 32 bit kernel and user land.
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/18/2007 12:54:27

Hello,

On Apr 18, 2007, at 12:41, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> I wane use a U2 for a special purpose. Due to some brain dead software,
> that is not 64 bit clean, I need to run a 32 bit kernel and user land
> on
> that machine. I also need X11. The U2 runns -current with a:
> ffb0 at mainbus0 addr 0xfec00000: Creator3D, model SUNW,501-2633, dac
> 10
> ffb0: found old DAC, enabling redraw on unblank
> ffb0: attached to /dev/fb0

wsdisplay at ffb?
You need a wscons kernel for XFree86 ( ok, you can probably make it
work without but that's likely far more painful than building a wscons
kernel )

> How to get X11 running?

X -configure

> Is this supported at all?

It's untested. Or rather - I never tested it.

> I did some experiments but XFree86 fails and I am not able to decode
> the
> output due to ENOX11CLUE.

If you have wskbd, wsmouse etc. please mail me your XFree86.0.log. If
you don't that's likely why it fails.

> E.g. I run "XFree86 -configure" and get
> [...]
> netbsdPciInit: can't open /dev/pci0
> [...]
> Fatal? Non-fatal? No PCI => no X11?

Not fatal ( used to be but I changed that long ago ) and has nothing to
do with your problem. I /think/ I enabled building the sunffb driver on
sparc too a while ago but I'm not too sure. It probably needs some
hacking, those changes we made to get it to work properly on sparc64
might have hosed it for 32bit sparc.

> If I can't use a UPA framebuffer, what about a SBus CG6?

Should Just Work. Toss in as many cg6 as you have monitors ;)

have fun
Michael