Subject: Re: 4.99.16 (-current) panic
To: Antti Kantee <pooka@cs.hut.fi>
From: Gert Doering <gert@greenie.muc.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/10/2007 08:30:27
Hi,

update on "system status" first: the newly built kernel (with DIAGNOSTIC)
is now running since about 20 minutes on the 2.0.3-userland machine, and
has survived starting mountd, and accessing the NFS-exported file systems
("uustat -a" etc.) - which is very promising.

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 11:42:18PM +0300, Antti Kantee wrote:
> On Mon Apr 09 2007 at 22:19:34 +0200, Gert Doering wrote:
> > > Ok, that's pretty obvious stuff.
[..]
> Oh, sorry, I skipped the explanation here in my previous mail.
> The problem was that the same vnode was unlocked and released twice due
> to programming error.  This happened if mount -u (mount(2) with the flag
> MNT_UPDATE) was done for a directory which is *not* the root directory
> of a file system.

... and the problem only happened because my "mountd" binary was old
enough to still use that call.

Thanks for tracking this down, and fixing it.  I assume that this is being
committed already?  Or shall I open a PR?.

> Also, the comment there is reversed.  It should say "we can operate only
> on VROOT".

Indeed, the comment contradicting the if() condition was even more
confusing :-)

regards,

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/