Subject: Re: Bus errors on -current with certain X11 apps
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/29/2006 08:55:42

Hello,

On Dec 29, 2006, at 05:34, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 15:01:41 -0500
> Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org> wrote:
>
>>> I get similar bus error core dumps with sylpheed-claws, but did't
>>> debug this.
>> Hmm, this used to work fine here,
> What version? Sylpheed (-claws) pkgsrc was updated from 1.0.4 to 2.5.5
> in October. I don't like 2.5.5 (thread view, @^&!*% anti-aliased fonts,
> unable to use good, old, standard X11 fonts, no GPG out of the box
> ...),
> I am going back to 1.somthing.

Good question, definitely one of the older, gtk1-based versions.

>> just had to fix a 64bit uncleanliness  in the gpg-plugin, sent the
>> patch to the developers and I think they used it.
> It seems the pkgsrc Sylpheed-claws 2.5.5 doesn't support GPG out of the
> box.

Ouch.

> [garbeld screen output in some window areas]
>> That's a problem with the sunffb driver. Sometimes the hardware freaks
>> out like that, I have no idea why and I found no way to reproduce it
>> reliably in X. If you find a way please let me know.
> It is easy and reliably to reproduce with Sylpheed-claws 2.5.5. Open a
> mail folder, set all mails to unread and walk from mail to mail with
> the
> space bar. At one point sylpheed scrols the thread view / message list.
> I always get a garbled screen at that point. But only the area that is
> scroled gets garbled. As you noted in the other mail: The text in the
> hardware acceleration to X for font anti-aliasing?)

I took it from xorg's driver, didn't write it myself. I've also been
sprinkling membar's but couldn't quite cure it.

> BTW: I had a quick look at the trace of the Sylpheed-claws 2.5.5 crash.
> It doesn't look like X11 related.

I bet someone's playing the old pass-an-(g)int*-as-size_t* game :/

> ffb0 at mainbus0 addr 0xfebee000: Creator, model SUNW,501-4789, dac 10

That should be an ffb2+ with only 5MB

> BTW2: Is it possible to use a custom Modeline on the Creator?

Not really - the only way to switch video modes is using the PROM.

have fun
Michael