Subject: Re: Bus errors on -current with certain X11 apps
To: Michael-John Turner <mj@turner.org.za>
From: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/28/2006 15:39:38

Hello,

On Dec 28, 2006, at 15:21, Michael-John Turner wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 03:06:04PM -0500, Michael Lorenz wrote:
>> Which model do you have? I've seen this on an ffb2+ ( or vertical
>> Creator3D ) and Jochen has a horizontal ffb1 IIRC.
>
> I have a pair of vertical Creator3D v3s:
> ffb0 at mainbus0 addr 0xfeb80000: Creator3D, model SUNW,501-4788, dac
> 10
> ffb1 at mainbus0: Creator3D, model SUNW,501-4788, dac 10

Hmm, interesting. The corruption - at least in my case - appeared when
scrolling or redrawing areas with lots of anti-aliased text.

> Funny that you should mention horizonal ffb1 - I remember seeing some
> "glitches" in the display when I had 3.0_BETA installed on my U1E with
> with
> a Creator3D v1. I can dig it out for testing and install -current if
> needed.

What kind of glitches?
If you mean messed up vram after blanking - there should be a
workaround in place now.

>> Last time I played with this on sparc64 was before they switched to
>> cairo.
>
> I can't remember if my U10 had cairo working successfully - I think I
> last
> did a large package build on it in July and it's currently powered off
> (awaiting bigger disks) so I can't check right now.

Hmm, I /think/ I played with cairo after all, since I do remember RGB
vs. BGR trouble.

>> Gecko seems very prone to this, regular gtk2 and qt3 apps seem to
>> catch
>> this problem rarely if at all. I've yet to see a gtk1 app getting
>> bitten by this.
>
> Yeah, I never saw any issues with my U10 running a variety of GUI
> apps. I
> have had the odd panic on my U2 when running apps using kernel threads
> (in
> particular clamav) though, so I guess there are still one or two bugs
> in
> that area.

Threads are still buggy on sparc64 as far as I know.

have fun
Michael