Subject: Re: Bus errors on -current with certain X11 apps
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/28/2006 13:31:34
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 11:33:12 +0200
Michael-John Turner <mj@turner.org.za> wrote:

> Since installing -current (4.99.4 kernel and userland) on my Ultra 60
> I've been having a lot of problems with applications I've built from
> pkgsrc. Chief amongst these are bus errors when running various X11
> window managers
Same here. Prominent victim: fvwm2. I backtraced the core dumps with
gdb, saw a fvwm internal GNOME_* function in the call trace, comented
out that call and retried. Same error at a different position with a
different GNOME_* function. Same procedure, comented out, retry, buss
error, core dump and again a GNOME_* function in the way. So I disabled
all GNONE support in fvwm (configure option) and since then fvwm is
running well.

I get similar bus error core dumps with sylpheed-claws, but did't debug
this.

Also: Sometimes I get garbeld screen output in some window areas. It is
easy to reproduce with sylpheed-claws, but I have seen it with xterm
too. The xterm incident was related to konqueror. Some actions in
konqueror garbeld the xterm window.

Here is an example of the sylpheed-claws window. It isn't the complete
window, it is the message list only:
http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/tmp/X11_err.png

Maybe this is not a problem of NetBSD, but one of the libs from pkgsrc
like gtk?

And: Do we have a swap problem? It seems that applications like to
crash when they get paged / swaped out and back in.
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen