Subject: Bus errors on -current with certain X11 apps
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Michael-John Turner <mj@turner.org.za>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/27/2006 11:33:12
Hi all

Since installing -current (4.99.4 kernel and userland) on my Ultra 60 I've
been having a lot of problems with applications I've built from pkgsrc.
Chief amongst these are bus errors when running various X11 window managers
(fluxbox, pwm, WindowMaker). Both twm and blackbox work OK though.

I've uploaded a pwm ktrace dump in text format:
http://mjturner.net/download/misc/ktrace_pwm.txt.bz2

I started experiencing similar problems when I upgraded my Ultra 10 from
3.99.15 to 4.99.1, but I put those down to my system being a little hosed
after too many upgrades and various X11 patches I'd applied, etc. Shortly
thereafter I got the Ultra 60 and didn't investigate the issues on the
Ultra 10 further.

The Ultra 60 has a fresh install of 3.1 that was upgraded to 4.99.4 and all
of the packages were built on the latter release, with the default
devel/cpuflags options for sparc64 (-mcpu=v9). I've tried building pwm with
the default compiler flags and that doesn't make a difference.

Anyone got any ideas? I can't spot anything obvious in the trace.

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mjturner.net/
mj@turner.org.za    | Open Source in WC ZA - http://www.clug.org.za/