Subject: Re: Xorg (7.1) and keyboard
To: Michael Lorenz <>
From: Arto Huusko <>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/06/2006 19:51:46
Michael Lorenz wrote:

> Argh, I forgot - use the 'kbd' inbut driver, /not/ 'keyboard'.

This is part of xsrc?

Official release has only the keyboard driver, as far
as I can see (and it is now working for me after I patched
the server).

>> By the way, xsrc Xorg does not have all NetBSD fixes
>> that XFree has: at least, it fails if wskbd type is
>> unknown, while the XFree version does not.
> Huh? Could you be a /little/ more specific? I know it doesn't have all
> xfree fixes but what keyboard did you use and how did it 'fail' ?

diff xfree/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/bsd/bsd_kbd.c

obviously, there are other diffs in the files, but this
is what I meant:

<              printWsType("Unknown", pInfo->name);
<              break;
>                xf86Msg(X_ERROR, "%s: Unsupported wskbd type \"%d\"",
>                                 pInfo->name, pKbd->wsKbdType);
>                close(pInfo->fd);
>                return FALSE;

That is: when using /dev/wskbd, and for some reason the
mux does not know what type of keyboard is attached, or
the type is not recognized by the X server, xsrc XFree
ignores this, while Xorg fails. I think it is not relevant
what keyboard exactly I have.

(The same diff is in the xf86Config.c file)