Subject: Re: Creative use of Raidframe
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
From: Christopher Sean Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/23/2006 09:50:36
On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 21:46 +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:

[snip]

> > Is the 7 hour estimate indicative of the performance that I will get
> > out of this set?
>
> Eventually? How large are you disks? And to what SCSI channesl are they
> attached at what speed? Remember that the E250 only supports Ultra-Wide SCSI
> (at most 40MB/Sec). So even if you have two really fast disks on a single
> SCSI channel the parity rewrite performance will be at most 20MB/Sec,
> probably less.

I have to admit that I haven't opened up the e250. I acquired it from a
former employer when they moved out of a large data center into a
smaller one. They had to get rid of much equipment so I inherited this
e250 as well as an e450. When moving the e450 we had to partially
disassemble it to get it down some stairs and I posted previously about
my efforts to get NetBSD installed on it. It turns out that the e450 had
a bad motherboard but at the time when I got the e250, and a guarantee
that it was working, I didn't want to risk anything by putting a
screwdriver to the hardware.

In any case the e250 can have multiple SCSI channels? By that I mean the
built in drive bay can be independently wired?

-- Chris