Subject: reload of 3.1 breaking logon
To: port-sparc64 <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Heitzso <heitzso@growthmodels.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/20/2006 15:23:34
Trying to stabilize my sparcstation 20 dual hypersparc 500M
system on 3.1 and 2006Q3 I ran into a problem.  Sequence was:
 * ftp download of all 3.1 sparc blat.tgz files
 * from / dir ran tar -xvfz .../blat.tgz as per doc (all less etc.tgz)
 * insure I have good (GENERIC.MP) kernel setup in / as netbsd
 * reboot

But now I cannot log or ssh into the system. I cannot debug ssh failure
because I cannot see the log(s) and config files.  From the console
I get the following error message when trying to log on:
 login pam_start failed
 in openpam_loadmodule() no pam_afslog.so found
Googling on the 2nd line I see a bug report but no clear fix other
than upgrade, and the bug report is a almost a year old.

telnet, rsh, etc. are disabled
straight logon is dead
ssh is kicking the attempted connection off

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Heitzso