Subject: Re: e450 as a modern server
To: None <>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.DynDNS.ORG>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/30/2006 19:13:51
On Oct 30, 2006, at 1:30 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

>> its sad, but you're entirely right. x86 won.
> some areas, like desktops.  Real server work, however, is
> typically done on real computers.  You just don't see very many
> serious datacenters full of PCs.  Some, sure...complete with a
> constant revolving-door of repair parts, etc.  But for the most
> part, that world is actually populated by UltraSPARCs, RS/6000s,
> and big HPs.

Hah.  Get out much?  Apparently not.  Or did this post bubble up from
5 years ago?

I work at a U.S. Government Lab, and trust me, our 'serious
datacenter' is
full of "PCs".  1U, 2U, even 3U configurations.  Giant RAID boxes with
multiple terabytes.  We just installed a 2U 7.5TB box with quad Xeon
the other day.  Since the CPUs are all Hyperthreaded, it looks to the OS
(Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4, if you had to ask) like 8 CPUs.  It
While we also still have some Suns (mostly V240's and V210's), the vast
majority of our in-house systems are now RHEL 3 and RHEL 4 x86
boxes.  It's
just far more cost-effective and bigger-bang-for-the-buck than Suns are.
You can't fight City Hall ...

Oh, and we're converting our Sybase server from a SunFire 480R to a
bunch of
Linux boxes running MySQL servers and one Sybase server for legacy
because a Sybase license on Red Hat costs a fraction of what it costs
on a Sun.

Sun hardware might be pretty solid and good for us home users (heck,
my e-mail
server is an 11-year-old SPARCserver 20, which someday will be
replaced by
my Ultra 60 when/if I can ever find a couple of dreary days to devote to
the task - kinda hard to come by when you live in Southern California),
but let's get real here - out in the real world where I live, "x86 won".

	- Greg