Subject: Re: e450 as a modern server
To: Sean Caron <caron.sean@gmail.com>
From: Jim <n0oct@sbcglobal.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/29/2006 22:42:39
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 11:38:48 -0500
"Sean Caron" <caron.sean@gmail.com> wrote:

> all in all these are fun systems and they look really cool, but if it
> happens to go belly up, its difficult to find spares and you pay a
> premium over boxes e.g. ultra60/80 that are more common and offer
> generally similar performance (if you don't need 14 pci slots, lol)

A lot of Sun hardware can be had for a song on Ebay.  I'm running an
E250 with FreeBSD as a Samba file server for a small office, and it
just loafs.  My personal web server/mail machine in my basement is an
Ultra 2 running FreeBSD.  I used FBSD on these two machines because of
SMP, and it seems pretty stable.

--
the other jim smith