Subject: Re: Anybody interested in porting NetBSD to the Sun OpenSparc T1
To: Volker A. Brandt <vab@bb-c.de>
From: Thomas E. Spanjaard <tgen@netphreax.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/04/2006 20:36:05
--------------enig653AEB48E106C7F41D926360

Volker A. Brandt wrote:
> Is there anyone out there who might be interested in porting NetBSD
> to the Sun OpenSparc T1 architecture?   This is a very interesting
> chip: It has 8 cores with 4 hardware threads per core, plus some other
> interesting tricks up its sleeve...

It's also available with less cores.

> Getting this to work would be a big step forward for the Sparc64 port
> and SMP on NetBSD in general.

Hmm, I'm not sure how much the T1 resembles III and IV, but it would be
a good thing if those were supported as well. As well as SMP on sparc64,
ofcourse. But given the fact that support for those is currently
lacking, I'm not sure how soon it'll surface?

Cheers,
--
         Thomas E. Spanjaard
         tgen@netphreax.net