Subject: Re: NetBSD from scratch
To: Hubert Feyrer , sp4rc <sammyshome@gmx.net>
From: Ben Collver <collver@peak.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/03/2006 08:03:06
On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 08:49:07AM +0200, Christoph Kaegi wrote:
> I don't think this is the information the original poster was after.
>
> LFS is (IIRC) essentially a Howto about how to install linux to your
> computer *without* just putting a CD into your drive and boot. e.g.
> how to partition your harddisk, install kernel, userland, tools,
> etc. by hand.
>
> So I think he wanted to know if there is information about how to
> install netbsd without sysinst or build.sh

Lubomir answered how to go without sysinst.  One step I would add to
Lubomir's post is to run /dev/MAKEDEV with the right arguments.

I have built individual components of NetBSD, for example:
cd /usr/src/bin/cat
make USETOOLS=no
./cat cat.c

I guess it would be a matter of reading the Makefiles and deciding how
low a level you want to do things by hand.  Do you build each component
under src/bin by hand, or do you build bin all at once?  And so forth.

One of the things I loved about NetBSD was that you get the source to
everything AND there is a trend toward automation.

Ben