Subject: Re: NetBSD 3.0, named, and sparc64
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Thierry Lacoste <th.lacoste@wanadoo.fr>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 01/02/2006 15:05:26
On Monday 26 December 2005 20:22, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <200512261919.jBQJJNg13626@toad.rmkhome.com>,
>
> Rick Kelly  <rmk@rmkhome.com> wrote:
> >I'm replacing my main mailserver/DNS server/ntp server with a box running
> >NetBSD/sparc64 running 3.0. Is there a problem with the fact that named is
> >compiled to use threading?
> >
> >The old box is an SS5 running NetBSD 1.5.4, and it needs to be replaced
> >fairly quick as it is no longer healthy after 6 years on the job.
>
> Depends how much memory you have. I believe that there are still problems
> when threaded processes get swapped out.
>
> christos
You mean entirely swapped? No relation with paging?

I'm currently using 2.0/sparc64 on an Ultra1 production server which runs
ntpd, dhcpd and named. The machine has 128 MB memory and works nicely.
For some reasons, e.g. syslogd configuration, I wanted to upgrade to 3.0.
Do you think it is safe?

Regards,
Thierry.