Subject: Re: X11 on Ultra 5
To: None <>
From: Michael <>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/23/2005 17:18:22

> machfb0 at pci1 dev 2 function 0: ATI Technologies 3D Rage I/II (rev.
> 0x9a) machfb0: 16 MB aperture at 0xe1000000, 4 KB registers at
> 0x00000000 memctl: 003210b3
> machfb0: 2048 KB SGRAM 62.999 MHz, maximum RAMDAC clock 170 MHz
> machfb0: initial resolution 1152x900 at 8 bpp
> wsdisplay0 at machfb0 kbdmux 1: console (default, sun emulation)
> wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0
> wsdisplay0: screen 1-3 added (default, sun emulation)
> What is an acceptable resolution to use with this card on a regular PC
> monitor? I tried 1024x768 at 8 bits, and it still defaults to 640x480.

What's in your /etc/X11/XF86Config? This video chip should do up to
1152x876 in 16bit ( XFree knows only VESA-ish resolutions, it will
reject 1152x900 for some silly reason )
Don't expect too much from the Rage II - some people reported weird
problems with acceleration enabled, even though it worked just fine as
console. Can't debug it for lack of hardware, my U10 has a Rage Pro.

> Are there any PCI video cards that work with Ultra 5/10?

In an U10 - any Creator board should Just Work ( Elite3D based boards
need a firmware file loaded or acceleration in X won't work )
Some Rage Pro based graphics cards are known to work ( provided they
have Sun firmware ). Support for Sun Raptor, Expert3D or any of the
Radeon based cards isn't there yet, mainly because the people who could
write the drivers don't have the hardware. The Expert3D uses some
Intergraph chip, I couldn't find anything remotely resembling
documentation so support won't appear any time soon. Raptor and Radeon
are more likely, there are at least XFree86 drivers.=20

have fun

Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (NetBSD)