Subject: Re: Xserver crashes
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: segv <segv@netctl.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 08/21/2005 17:16:29
On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:56:07 -0400
Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Maybe - I can't reproduce it though. I use dillo a lot ( but not as much
> as I used to - it's too unstable and now konqueror is usable ), maybe
> that's another bug in the font rendering code. So, what /exactly/
> triggers the crash? Maybe I just didn't look at the right stuff.
>
> On the other hand, these would most likely trigger SIGSEGV or SIGBUS,
> but not SIGILL. Did you use any weird LDFLAGS or CFLAGS when building X?
> For instance - accidentially building the Xserver with pthread support
> leads to /very/ odd crashes ( but these would show a thoroughly hosed
> stack in the backtrace ).

Well to reproduce this on my machine I do the following:

1. Start dillo, it will display about:splash welcome page
2. Click on Home link in the top left menu
3. When I get to www.dillo.org page, click on Screenshots link
4. Next the screen will freeze, i.e. the Xserver just crashed

I used the following CFLAGS when building release:

-mcpu=ultrasparc -Os -Wa,-Av9a -pipe

The assembler flags -Wa,-Av9a should not really make much difference, since
setting -mcpu=ultrasparc will pass -Av9a to the assembler anyway.

Maybe there is a bug in gcc that causes it to generate bad code for ultrasparc?