Subject: re: DVD playback
To: segv <segv@netctl.net>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/21/2005 06:22:02

   > in the past on x86 & macppc i've found that mplayer uses much less
   > cpu than both xine or ogle.  i think mplayer also has ultrasparc
   > assembler code that isn't enabled by default on netbsd/sparc64.
   >
   > are you playing full screen?  if so, does it work non-fullscreen?
   > is "Xvideo" extension available for you?  (what does "xvinfo" say)
   >

   > .mrg.

   I'm not playing it full screen, the playback is moderate, but a bit
   choppy. Running xvinfo says "screen #0 no adapters present". I'm not
   sure what Xvideo extension does, how do I enable it?

Xvideo basically lets an application feed the gfx adapter an image
and say 'place it here, this size'.  ie, it lets the hardware do all
the scaling required, including fullscreen, with virtually no cpu
used at all.  if you're not doing fullscreen tho, it doesn't really
matter...  i'm not sure about Xv for xfree86 on sparc64...

.mrg.