Subject: Re: DVD playback
To: segv <segv@netctl.net>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/20/2005 21:21:32
> Has anyone tried playing DVDs on UltraSparc workstations running
> Solaris/NetBSD? Do you have any tips on how to overcome choppy playback?
>
> I have Ultra10 440Mhz with 512MB of RAM and Elite3D/m6 framebuffer.
> Running ogle dvd player on NetBSD produces choppy playback and the CPU
> is running at 100%. Searching on Google brought up a few pages where
> people had the same problem on Solaris. Do you think 440Mhz is too
> little for smooth DVD playback or ogle does not take full advantage of
> hardware acceleration?  I did export USE_FFB2_YUV2RGB environment
> variable to gain faster playback, but it didn't make much difference.
>
> Right now I'm building mplayer, but I doubt it will be any better...

IMHO it's all up to gfx acceleration. last week i tried just out of
curiosity (because i built a new DVD burner into it) playback of DVDs on
an old Power Mac G3 b&w (400MHz G3/1MByte L2 Cache, but i also tried a
300MHz CPU with only 512KByte) running Mac OS X -- plays like a charm.
but: it has a Radeon 8500, fully supported by Quartz Extreme.

the CPU is way below 30% when doing playback.

timo