Subject: DVD playback
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: segv <segv@netctl.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/20/2005 20:07:54
Has anyone tried playing DVDs on UltraSparc workstations running
Solaris/NetBSD? Do you have any tips on how to overcome choppy playback?

I have Ultra10 440Mhz with 512MB of RAM and Elite3D/m6 framebuffer.
Running ogle dvd player on NetBSD produces choppy playback and the CPU
is running at 100%. Searching on Google brought up a few pages where
people had the same problem on Solaris. Do you think 440Mhz is too
little for smooth DVD playback or ogle does not take full advantage of
hardware acceleration?  I did export USE_FFB2_YUV2RGB environment
variable to gain faster playback, but it didn't make much difference.

Right now I'm building mplayer, but I doubt it will be any better...