Subject: Re: USB on U5
To: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
From: Michael-John Turner <mj@turner.org.za>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/19/2005 23:21:17
On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 11:40:39PM +0300, Arto Huusko wrote:
> Yeah, that's right, I tried the card in a PC, and it is uhci.
> The box claims it is OHCI, though.

OHCI, like UHCI, is also USB 1.1, just a different standard. EHCI is USB
2.0.

I have a VIA chipset USB 2.0/FireWire card in my Ultra 5:
ehci0 at pci2 dev 3 function 2: VIA Technologies VT8237 EHCI USB Controller (rev. 0x63)
ehci0: interrupting at ivec 1a
ehci0: EHCI version 1.0
ehci0: companion controllers, 2 ports each: uhci0 uhci1
usb2 at ehci0: USB revision 2.0

It also supports UHCI for USB 1.1 transfers. I haven't tried the card yet,
but the kernel finds it at least. Concerningly, I see this as well:
ehci0: unrecoverable error, controller halted
ehci0: blocking intrs 0x10

The other card in the machine is a Symbios 875, which is seen fine, but
doesn't have any disks attached at the moment (although it has worked fine
in the past in this machine).

> And in some combinations the machine won't come up at all. For
> example, the simplest case, trying to boot up with only the USB
> card attached, the machine doesn't even get up to memory check.
> Just black screen on power up. The system also does not boot if
> the USB card is before the IDE card, but the other way around
> the system boots, at least.

Hmm... I've had similar failure to power up problems, but only on PeeCees
with buggy ACPI implementations. I assume your PCI riser is properly seated
etc? What IDE card do you have installed?

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mj.turner.org.za/
mj@turner.org.za    | Open Source in WC ZA - http://www.clug.org.za/