Subject: Re: USB on U5
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/19/2005 23:40:39
>> I've just bought a ST-labs USB 2.0 card that has VIA 6202/6212 chip on
>> it, and I'm trying to get it going on an Ultra 5.
>>
>> The problem is that it seems that the machine does not see the card at
>> all. I've got ohci compiled in kernel, but it does not attach.
>
> VIA USB chips are usually uhci and for USB2.0 you need ehci too or
> you'll be limited to USB 1.1speed.

Yeah, that's right, I tried the card in a PC, and it is uhci.
The box claims it is OHCI, though.

And since the card works on a PC, I guess it is not broken.

>> Neither are there any "not configured" messages for any cards at the
>> pci bus.
>> And, finally, looking at device tree at the firmware prompt, the card
>> is not there either. I see the built-in devices under pci@1,1 and
>> an additional IDE controller under pci@1, and I guess the USB card
>> should be there, too, but it isn't.
>
> Did you try another slot? My U10 doesn't see anything in the topmost
> slot for some reason.

Yeah, I've tried all the slots now and it does not work in any of them.

And in some combinations the machine won't come up at all. For
example, the simplest case, trying to boot up with only the USB
card attached, the machine doesn't even get up to memory check.
Just black screen on power up. The system also does not boot if
the USB card is before the IDE card, but the other way around
the system boots, at least.