Subject: Re: (OT) Installing Solaris using a NetBSD install server
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/17/2005 04:02:44
On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 05:47:26PM +1000, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 09:07:01PM -0400, Sean Davis wrote:
> > I realize that this is a NetBSD list, not a Solaris list, but I've been told
> > that it is doable (I can't remember who said it...), and can't figure out
> > how.
>
> I did it years ago, it works fine. IIRC, I had run the
> solaris-specific "copy everything off the CD and lay out the install
> dirs" script already on a solaris box, and jsut copied that and some
> bootparams (etc) files across to netbsd.

I don't have any machines currently running solaris at the moment, otherwise
I would simply use the Solaris boot server mechanisms.

> > Basically, what I'm trying to do is load Solaris 10 onto a Netra over my
> > LAN, with the cd images residing on a NetBSD machine. From what I can see,
> > the Solaris install cd(s) contain multiple slices, and NetBSD can only mount
> > one of them, which isn't sufficient to get to the install files. I'm stuck
> > on where to go from here.
>
> Is the NetBSD machine not a sparc? In this case, you'll likely need to
> use sunlabel(8) to read the label off the CD and adjust the in-core
> label to suit.  "dkctl ... keeplabel yes" is handy between invocations
> here :)

I've got several NetBSD machines at my disposal here... an Ultra 1 running
NetBSD 2.99.something, an Ultra 5 running 2.0.2_STABLE, and an Athlon
running 3.99.7. sunlabel doesn't find a valid label on the cd image (mounted
via vnd) I'll give it a shot on the burned cd, but I expect the same
results.

Also, I can't install Solaris on the Ultra 5 (my original plan) because
Solaris apparently refuses to detect non-IDE drives in Ultra 5's. The
machine is setup with an Adaptec 2940UW-OFW + Seagate Cheetah in it, which
OpenBoot sees just fine, but Solaris' installer does not.

-Sean