Subject: Re: (OT) Installing Solaris using a NetBSD install server
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/17/2005 17:47:26
--dXvu6+ixFx2ZffE8

On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 09:07:01PM -0400, Sean Davis wrote:
> I realize that this is a NetBSD list, not a Solaris list, but I've been told
> that it is doable (I can't remember who said it...), and can't figure out
> how.

I did it years ago, it works fine. IIRC, I had run the
solaris-specific "copy everything off the CD and lay out the install
dirs" script already on a solaris box, and jsut copied that and some
bootparams (etc) files across to netbsd.

> Basically, what I'm trying to do is load Solaris 10 onto a Netra over my
> LAN, with the cd images residing on a NetBSD machine. From what I can see,
> the Solaris install cd(s) contain multiple slices, and NetBSD can only mount
> one of them, which isn't sufficient to get to the install files. I'm stuck
> on where to go from here.

Is the NetBSD machine not a sparc? In this case, you'll likely need to
use sunlabel(8) to read the label off the CD and adjust the in-core
label to suit.  "dkctl ... keeplabel yes" is handy between invocations
here :)

--
Dan.
--dXvu6+ixFx2ZffE8