Subject: Re: Netra t1 105
To: Sten Spans <sten@blinkenlights.nl>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/21/2005 07:38:38
On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 11:12:06AM +0200, Sten Spans wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005, Sean Davis wrote:
>
> >Hi, I've recently acquired one of these, and I've got a few questions.
> >It's a model 105 Netra t1, with an 18 gig (?) Seagate Cheetah Ultra160 SCSI
> >drive (sun branded), 440mhz UltraSPARC-IIi, and 512MB ram.
> >
> >1) Is there a Symbios Ultra160 PCI SCSI host adapter that can be used in
> >  this machine (ie, is OFW bootable?) if not Symbios, I'm open to whatever
> >  suggestion - as long as OFW can boot from it.
>
> The symbios 875 (uw/40mb) has special support in ofw, it works
> even without an ofw rom. Any other scsi card will need to have
> an ofw rom. u2w and faster cards are rare/expensive. The two
> most common options are Intraserver (895/896, u2w, binary solaris driver),
> sun scsi card (u2w and faster isn't that common).
>
> 875/u2w is about 20-30$ on ebay,
> 895/intraserver is quite rare
> sun u160 is 500+ $ on ebay.
>
> I'd go with a 875, for a single disk it should be bearable.

It's got an 875 onboard:
esiop0 at pci1 dev 2 function 0: Symbios Logic 53c875 (ultra-wide scsi)
esiop0: using on-board RAM
esiop0: interrupting at ivec 20
scsibus0 at esiop0: 16 targets, 8 luns per target

It's bearable, I just wonder why the hell Sun would ship this thing with an
18 gig Ultra160 disk but only an Ultra/Wide controller.

-Sean