Subject: Re: Sparc 20 hypersparc vs Ultra 2
To: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/20/2005 20:30:11
On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 10:22:35AM +0000, Bruce O'Neel wrote:

> I have one existing sparc system (ss4, 110mhz) that compared to the other systems
> (say a 200mhz 604e) is quite underwhelming.  Are the Supersparcs and hypersparcs
> likely to be as slow as the microsparc IIs?  And how does the Ultra 2 compare
> to the Supersparcs and hypersparcs?

Look down the page here:

< http://www.macopinion.com/columns/macskeptic/99/09/09/>

There is a table of specint95 measurements that can give you a bit of
a guide.  According to here:

<http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/U2/spec.html>

(use sunsolve, it has lots of interesting stuff on it even if Sun have
locked away some of the details now :)

The 200Mhz would be a Ultrasparc-1 processor, if you can get your
hands on a 300Mhz beastie it would be better because that would be an
Ultrasparc-II processor.

Hypersparc is good but a Ultrasparc would be better - not surprising
since the Ultrasparc was the next generation chip.

--
Brett Lymn