Subject: Re: Netra t1 105
To: Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net>
From: Michael-John Turner <mj@turner.org.za>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/20/2005 08:15:46
On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 08:43:32PM -0400, Sean Davis wrote:
> 1) Is there a Symbios Ultra160 PCI SCSI host adapter that can be used in
>    this machine (ie, is OFW bootable?) if not Symbios, I'm open to whatever
>    suggestion - as long as OFW can boot from it.

Hmm... Not sure on this one. I know the Symbios Ultra-Wide controllers are
OFW bootable, but not sure about Ultra 160. Perhaps dig in the FEH?

> 2) I'm running NetBSD 2.0.2_STABLE on it at the moment. I intend for this
>    machine to (eventually) serve as a router (ipf/ipnat/altq), netboot server
>    (rarp/dhcp/tftp/nfs/whatever).. Should I consider 3.0_BETA, or is
>    2.0.2_STABLE the best choice for this application? Note that I hope to
>    eventually get a working DECstation, so I might want mopd(8), which AFAIK
>    does not ship with netbsd-2-0.

"It depends". 3.0_BETA has pf as part of the base system (it's also
available from pkgsrc with 2.0.2_STABLE), which is nice. I've also noticed
some performance improvements with 3.0_BETA, but with sparc rather than
sparc64 (haven't stressed any of my sparc64 machines much since upgrading).

mopd(8) is there in 2.x - I certainly have it on sparc and i386 (don't
have any 2.x sparc64 machines any more).
[p1] root@sign:/# uname -srmn
NetBSD sign.pimp.org.za 2.0.2 sparc
[p1] root@sign:/# ls -l /usr/sbin/mopd
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  52065 Dec  2  2004 /usr/sbin/mopd

> 3) Is the hardware watchdog provided by LOMlite supported by NetBSD? If so,
>    any recommendations in setting it up?

Not sure on this one.

-mj
--