Subject: Re: DRI on sunffb and some rambling
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Tonnerre <tonnerre@thundrix.ch>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/06/2005 06:57:24
--vA66WO2vHvL/CRSR

Salut,

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 06:25:23AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 11:28:24PM -0400, Michael wrote:
> > Or we could put the hardware-specific drm stuff into even more devices:
> > vga*	at pci?=20
> > drm* at vga?
> > radeondrm* at drm?
>=20
> From an autoconfig point of view I would do=20
>=20
> ffb* at mainbus?
> radeonvga* at pci?
> drm* at drmdriver?

It's not exactly a good idea to try and push all the hardware specific stuff
through a generic interface except PCI, which has several reasons, one of
which might be named timing, another one is complexity.

The probably easiest approach (and the one I'm following) is:

radeon* at pci? device ? function ?
vga* at radeon?

Whereas I'm not sure if it's good to have a separate DRM entry, because the
radeon* would already contain one.

The other suggestion is to export a machfb-like framebuffer via radeon* and
simply attach wscons on top of it.

Of course, radeon* can be anything (radeon*, tdfx*, sunffb*, ...).

Running DRM on _top_ of a framebuffer device is not exactly easy, and may
be undesirable, since the job of DRM is to keep hardware buffers and the
GPU registers and all accessible from userland.

				Tonnerre

--vA66WO2vHvL/CRSR

--vA66WO2vHvL/CRSR--