Subject: Re: DRI on sunffb and some rambling
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/06/2005 06:25:23
On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 11:28:24PM -0400, Michael wrote:
> Or we could put the hardware-specific drm stuff into even more devices:
> vga*	at pci?
> drm* at vga?
> radeondrm* at drm?

From an autoconfig point of view I would do

ffb* at mainbus?
radeonvga* at pci?
drm* at drmdriver?

(where we could discuss the name "drmdriver" - since it is a bus for
autoconfig) and then make sure that radeonvga only contains the additional
stuff to provide the DRM hooks on that particular board, but otherwise reuse
as much of the standard vga driver as possible.

We could also discuss to use the /dev/fb* view of the graphics world for
X on PCI busses too and modify the XFree device open code accordingly, which
would enable us to get away with the XFree setuid-ness. But this is a
completely different topic, orthogonal to the current issue and better
discussed separate (it would allow us to attach drm* at fb?, but that's realy
only a cosmetic/naming question)

Martin