Subject: Re: Success: X11 on Rage Pro and Rage I/II
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/02/2005 18:57:38
--Signature_Thu__2_Jun_2005_18_57_38_-0400_4bVzTI.xXkmgOtJH

Hello,

> > That's good to know - did you get any weird blitter errors, like
> > things not drawn at the right places, garbled text or so on the Rage
> > II?
> No. But all I displayed was fvwm2, a bunch of xterms and konquerror. I
> moved windows around (solid move, "OpaqueMoveSize unlimited" in
> fvwm2rc), resized them and got no errors.

Interesting. This needs further analysis- others reported garbled text
in xterms, misplaced window borders and all kinds of other blitter
weirdness.

> The U10 with the Rage II is my firewall / router, NAT and VPN gate,
> DHCP and netboot server... So this machine usually runs with serial
> consloe in the machine room. Also I can't call 1152x864 at 16 bit
> depth that usable. I am used to a SGI Octane with dual head 1280x1024
> at 24 bpp so I can't do more then a quick testing.=20

Any testing is welcome, the Rage II case is known to be cranky.

> > and please send me the dmesg output and XFree86.0.log
> I'll send an extra private mail.
Got it, thank you.

> > I also added support for virtual consoles which needs some more
> > testing ;)
> Who needs virtual console when X11 is working? ;-)

Well, the sunffb driver has some serious issues left, something stomps
into memory it shouldn't stomp - couldn't really pinpoint it yet, but
Konqueror for instance crashes the Xserver here - either when rendering
the welcome page or when exiting - I hope I can track it down in time
for 3.0

> WOW! GREAT! Everything works!
> U10 with Rage II and with Creator as well as the U1e Creator run X11
> with acceleration.

Good to know :)
But be careful with ffb yet - for simple stuff like a bunch of xterms,
sylpheed and so on it's certainly usable, but both Konqueror and mozilla
seem to issue commands that mess up something in the sunffb driver which
sooner or later crashes the Xserver. ( no, I don't mean to blame them -
it's entirely sunffb's fault )

> Can't you do this for the SGI O2 (port-sgimips) too? ;-)

I didn't so it, I only fixed the last bug that kept it from working ;)

Heh, a couple of months ago my answer would have been 'send me the
hardware and what you can get in docs' but I'm afraid someone would
actually do that and right now I have neither the time nor the room to
deal with another machine/platform.

( well, there's an Indogo2 R10K sitting here too, but I'm afraid docs
for the IMPACT series of graphics boards are next to impossible to get,
even then we won't have 3d any time soon. The little Indys with their
non-3d graphics hardware would be a more sensible target since you
wouldn't lose important functionality when abandoning IRIX ) ;)

have fun
Michael