Subject: Re: Sun Hardware Donation
To: Davide Zanon <d.zanon@ininito.it>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/09/2005 22:02:20
thus Davide Zanon spake:

>>>I've heard somewhere that Sun were withholding technical information
>>>about some platforms with UltraSparcIII CPUs, thums making it difficult
>>>to support them. Don't know if it's true or not...
>

> Me too, I had read something about that, and Theo De Raadt was very angry with
> Sun for the lack of help they had given him, and he saw the cause of this in
> Sun's fear to help non-GPLed projects, as other companies could learn too
> much of the UltraSPARC III architecture from a BSD-licensed code... I don't
> know if everything's true, and I don't hope so, but... The last time I asked
> this on this mailing list (it was last summer) some people told me it was
> just lack of time and, above all, hardware. And I trust them, as I can't find
> the time to write an hello world program anymore at sixteen years old ;)
>

>>yip,
>>
>>AFAIR this was on a PCI-to-xyz (or from-xyz) bridge. however, i saw on a
>>freebsd mailing list that they're working on it (the US-III support). IIRC.
>

> COOL! Nice info for us all!

perhaps one should contact one of those 'open source is so cool --
that's why we open Solaris'-guys like jonathan schwartz and tell him a
little bit on i) Sun's donation (which could be even more useful) and
ii) NetBSD and it's open source character, blabla.

cheerio,

--
Timo Schoeler | http://macfinity.net/~tis | timo.schoeler@macfinity.net
//macfinity -- finest IT services | http://macfinity.net

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.