Subject: Re: ultra5 & Xwindows
To: Davide Zanon <d.zanon@ininito.it>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/06/2005 19:27:36
--Signature_Fri__6_May_2005_19_27_36_-0400_9.gwWP_Bg.g2VT32

Hello,

> The errors are "Unsupported relocation type xxxx", I didn't
> remember... BTW,  this isn't important, as=20
> I built my own XFree86 using
> ./build.sh -T /usr/cross -O /usr/obj -m sparc64 -x distribution
> and
> ./build.sh -T /usr/cross -O /usr/obj -m sparc64 -x sets
> on a macppc system and then installed the sets... maybe the problems
> have something to do with cross-compilation?

Maybe. But it may well be the build process itself.

> BTW, can I cross-compile XFree86 from xsrcdir?=20

Not without a LOT of hassle. But even my 333MHz U10 builds a complete
XFree86 4.5 in two or three hours via NFS.

> And how can I install sets then, if I NFS mount the Ultra5 on the
> host system?=20

Build natively and after make World do make install on the U5 :)
This will put everything to /usr/X11R6/

> > That's odd - you're the 2nd one telling me about this - on my U10
> > the Xserver starts up in a couple of seconds, XFCE4 takes a little
> > longer ( especially when I just updated X11 libraries... ) but all
> > in all way less than a minute from startx to usable desktop.
> > Do you have your hostname and all that in /etc/hosts? The only time
> > I've seen something like that was on an AIX box where lots of X11
> > clients tried to resolve the machine's hostname via DNS which took
> > bloody ages to time out when there was no internet connection and
> > for some reason the machine defaulted to try DNS before /etc/hosts.
> > Maybe you should check your /etc/hosts and /etc/nsswitch.conf.
>=20
> Oh, yes, I'll try, I'm pretty sure you're right and the problem is=20
> network-related.

I hope it is - I can't think of anything else...

> > Is /usr/X11R6/bin in your $PATH ?
> > I have no idea where twm keeps its menu, I don't use it.
>=20
> Neither do I, but this is the only wm I have on that machine for
> now... :)

see /usr/pkgsrc/wm/ :)
But beware - WindowMaker has (apparently) 64bit-related problems (
colour gradients look /very/ funny, it's pretty crash-prone ), amiwm
works fine, xfce4 too, even KDE3 works mostly ( but takes ages to build
thanks to c++, templates and monstrous memory usage by the compiler )

> > I don't think /you/ did anything wrong. xclock works just fine here,
> > no trace of any problem. But your Xserver seems to be more than a
> > little hosed, the module loader errors you mentioned earlier should
> > NOT happen. Maybe you mixed up different variants of the X11
> > software?
>=20
> I don't think so, as I wrote above :)

Hmm, so it's either the cross-compiling setup or building via src/x11 is
still broken :/

have fun
Michael