Subject: Re: ultra5 & Xwindows
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pcah8322@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/04/2005 09:52:47
> On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 09:34:55AM +0200, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> > The discussion mentioned VT100 emulation and recommended vt220 or
> > xterm-color. Shouldn't it be identical to the one used on VGA?
>
> The /etc/ttys installed by default should work, no matter what framebuffer
> we find. So we have to pick one for all and can't select another one for
> the machines using ati graphics chips.

The previous discussion already assumed VT100 emulation, and people were
unsure what is the "best" terminal type for it. If the emulation is
identical to the one used on VGA, wsvt25 is closest, that's all what I
wanted to say. I don't suggest it being the default for /etc/ttys.

Even on VGA-using platforms, the default in /etc/ttys is vt220. The reason
is probably that if you telnet or ssh to another machine, the TERM setting
will be propagated and the remote machine might know nothing about wsvt25.

Bye	Pavel