Subject: Re: ultra5 & Xwindows
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Amadeus Stevenson <amadeus.stevenson@gmail.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/02/2005 22:03:40
On 5/2/05, Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> > Now I've got a big problem :( keyboard doesn't work anymore... I had a
> > quick look at kernel config files, but I can't find anything about
> > keyboard. And now I can't do anything (no serial cables, nothing at
> > all :( ) to solve this... any hints?

Just compiled a -current kernel and had (related?) issues. mouse
configure failed so no core pointer in X. wscons also didn't seem to
work (console fell back to sun emulation or something). I had the
tar_files from about a week ago, so if the keyboard stuff was added a
few days ago I'll try to get the src tar_files again. They're updated
nightly?

I took out EHCI support and just had UHCI for the VIA controller;
however nothing is detected when I plug in (usb disks/dongles etc.) No
message on console or /var/log/messages. Shall I assume the card is
not supported? It was an el-cheapo.

At the moment I'm having to lug my U5 down (then up) 5 flights of
stairs to get internet connectivity; so I'll wait until the pci wifi
card I ordered (and found on the wi man page) arrives so I can do it
and post error messages better. I could have used a usb disk to
transfer files... but that's not working ATM either.

I have ogle working to play DVD's. It has a paging memory thing which
pkgsrc MESSAGE tells you about (increase in kernel). However I had a
preview of rendered video in the "bit before the menu". Sound and
video were too jerky to watch continually. Not a big surprise but I
was hoping I could watch DVD's back! Maybe on a later sparc. As I said
before I have an mpeg-2 decoder card... but that is a little hopeful
to get working.

/x11/gtk won't compile (for xmms) when it gets to the XOpenWindows
part. Gives a similar message: "can't find -lX11". gtk2+ compiled fine
though.

firefox compiled, but failed on first execute with "undefined symbol".
I'll try the patch posted before and maybe a new thread.

I'll continue all this stuff in a few days when the box gets internet
connectivity.

Many thanks for all your help, As I said before I'll put all the
useful info on www soonish.

Amadeus