Subject: Re: Sun CG6, X11 and so on
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/28/2005 15:58:28
--Signature_Thu__28_Apr_2005_15_58_28_-0400_vy+jdUsuNWZvTRak

Hello,

> > I can't really imagine Sun not adding a CPU-to-screen blitter
> > interface,
>=20
> If they have one I haven't found it yet.

Hmm, XFree knows how to handle alignment requirements so that's no
showstopper.

> The font stuff I refer to  above contains the equivalent, but only for
> 32-bit character bitmasks - ` to draw anything bigger than 32x1 you
> have to do multiple writes. =20

Well, without DMA I'd have to do that anyway.

> (You can do it either as rows, 32 pixels at a time, or as
> 32-pixel-wide vertical stripes, whichever you prefer.  Most
> characters, of course, are narrower than 32 pixels and hence can be
> done as a vertical strip.)

Sounds like the Weitek P9100 - you give it a rectangle where you want
the data to end up and tell it if your lines are byte-aligned or not,
then start shoving data into a port.

> > So - is there any halfway decent CG6 documentation out there?
>=20
> I have a number of programs that make the cg6 sit up and do tricks.
> I'll see about writing up a doc file describing what I know about it,
> but I don't have time to do more than scribble out this message right
> now.

The sources alone would help a lot. The sunGX stuff in Xserver/hw/sun
isn't exactly reader-friendly.
Some other stupid question - I know there are cg6-variants with more
than 1MB RAM, I'd like to use the extra memory as offscreen-buffer in
XFree - any idea how to figure out the /real/ amount of video RAM? Most
code I've seen seems to assume that vramsize =3D width * height which
doesn't help at all.

have fun
Michael

PS. with some luck I'll have hardware-accelerated screen-to-screen
copies and solid rectangles working in XFree later today. Then I'll need
people willing to test this stuff.