Subject: Re: updating installed pacakges
To: Mehul Sanghvi <mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com>
From: john heasley <heas@shrubbery.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/14/2005 12:03:37
Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 02:47:08PM -0400, Mehul Sanghvi:
> On 4/14/05, john heasley <heas@shrubbery.net> wrote:

> > > make update
> >
> > afaik that will update everything installed _and_ install anything not
> > already installed.  check out pkg_chk in pkgtools.
> >

> pkg_check -i has errors with /etc/mk.conf  which I dont seem to recall
> happening before.
>
> apparently the following line has an error in it:
>
>      .if  ${OPSYS} == "IRIX"
>
> It needs an operator is what make complains.  The make I have in the path is
> /usr/bin/make and not GNU make which is in /usr/pkg/bin/gmake

you want netbsd's make or bmake, BSD make, on non-netbsd boxes. which would
have been installed with the pkgsrc bootstrap.

This (really this entire thread) should be on pkgsrc-bugs or tech-pkg, it
is not a sparc64 problem.

> Putting that aside though, pkg_chk will only give me a list of
> packages that need to be
> upgraded.  I would then have to do something like a 'make reinstall'
> for each one of those
> packages, yes ?

see the -u and -r options.  i use pkgsrc on solaris, but have not tried
these options.  seems to work fine on netbsd.