Subject: Re: updating installed pacakges
To: john heasley <heas@shrubbery.net>
From: Mehul Sanghvi <mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/14/2005 14:47:08
On 4/14/05, john heasley <heas@shrubbery.net> wrote:
> Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 07:02:35PM +0200, Jaka Jejcic:
> > On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:45:43AM -0400, Mehul Sanghvi wrote:
> > > 'allo,
> > >
> > >     I would like to update the packages that I have installed on my
> > > system.  How do I do that with pkgsrc ?
> > >
> > >     Under Debian (which is what I am used to), I would do something
> > > like 'apt-get upgrade'
> > > and it would upgrade everything on my system.
> >
> > make update
>=20
> afaik that will update everything installed _and_ install anything not
> already installed.  check out pkg_chk in pkgtools.
>=20

pkg_check -i has errors with /etc/mk.conf  which I dont seem to recall
happening before.

apparently the following line has an error in it:

     .if  ${OPSYS} =3D=3D "IRIX"

It needs an operator is what make complains.  The make I have in the path i=
/usr/bin/make and not GNU make which is in /usr/pkg/bin/gmake

Putting that aside though, pkg_chk will only give me a list of
packages that need to be
upgraded.  I would then have to do something like a 'make reinstall'
for each one of those
packages, yes ?=20

cheers,

    mehul