Subject: Re: NetBSD/sparc64 now 'ready for primetime'?
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Timo Schoeler <wanker4freedom@web.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/02/2005 20:11:50
>> If you don't need threads you'll probably be fine with NetBSD, but if
>> you do need them you're in for all kinds of nastiness. Some of it is
>> fixed ( didn't see a kernel panic or a deadlock for a while ) in
>> -current but we still get apparently random SIGSEGV and SIGBUS from
>> libpthread. Some threaded applications work just fine, some don't
>> work at all or crash randomly.
>> So if you want stable workhorses go with Solaris right now, maybe
>> keep one U5 with NetBSD to play with, there's still a chance it will
>> do what you need.
>
> Well, www.rmkhome.com/ftp.rmkhome.com is an Ultra5 running NetBSD
> 2.0.1, which
> I will upgrade soon to 2.0.2. I use a Symbios SCSI controller and SCSI
> drives
> instead of the lame sun IDE controller. Apache 1.3.xx. No threads, and
> it runs
> pretty well. I had one possible "sleeps forever" before I upgraded
> from 2.0.
> --
> Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com

yes, maybe IDE machines are more often affected than SCSI machines (as
written a minute ago, i run U1E and U2E here).

does the symbios integrate well into OF so that it's bootable?

cheers,

--
Timo Schoeler | http://macfinity.net/~tis | timo.schoeler@macfinity.net
//macfinity -- finest IT services | http://macfinity.net

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.