Subject: Re: Applying Sun Standalone Flash PROM Updates
To: David Brownlee <abs@absd.org>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/28/2005 18:02:03
On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 11:35:23PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> 	Sum make updated PROM flash images for Ultra 1 machines
> 	available online:
>
> 	    http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/show.pl?target=patchpage
> 	    (Look for Patch ID 104881 and 104288)
>
> 	The upgrade is in the form of a standalone ELF image that
> 	prompts for what flash images to update, then reflashes the
> 	PROM (assuming the jumpers are set appropriately).
>
> 	The ELF file is bootable via Sun's boot program, but not
> 	via NetBSD's.
>
> 	I wondered if anyone has any idea why?
>
> 	file flash140:
> 	ELF 32-bit MSB executable, SPARC32PLUS, V8+ Required, version 1
> 	(SYSV), statically linked, stripped

I'm not sure about this specific update, but I've always applied Sun PROM
updates (at least on my Ultras) by pointing the TFTP boot link (ie,
/tftpboot/whatever) to the sun-supplied flash update. Then I simply (after
making sure my netboot server is setup correctly) do a boot net on the
ultras, making sure the jumpers are set so that flash is writable, of
course.

- Sean

--
 _