Subject: Re: Can't build userland, resultant binaries are not executable
To: 'port-sparc64@netbsd.org' list <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: George Adkins <george@webbastard.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/22/2005 14:40:17
>> isn't /sbin there for the purpose of Statically Linked Binaries for
>> Critical Tools?
>>

> Based on my fuzzy recollections here...No
>
> sbin == system binaries (i.e. used for managing the system)
>
> /sbin - ones that need to be there for bootup
> /usr/sbin - ones that can wait until after /usr is mounted (back when
> people
>             used to make / it's own partition).

"Back When" ????

Uhh..  EVERY machine (Except the SGI machines running XFS) I have has a
separate /usr from /, in fact they all have separate (partitions or
drives) /var, /usr, /home, /usr/pkgsrc...

this is *basic* to how you lay out a reliable Unix system.  Everything
in one big / slice is BAD, otherwise, why is there even an /etc/fstab?
or are you guys planning on deprecating *that* too?

/sbin is for the important tools that need to be statically linked
(notice the 's' in the beginning of 'sbin'?) so that if you bring the
system up in single-user mode, you have some tools that *actually work*
for recovering a down system, or adding disks, or moving filesystems
around on to different disks, etc...

As was pointed out earlier, all the world is *NOT* an PeeCee with a
single fifteen-billion-gigabyte IDE drive in it.

--
George

'Christians get married in a church, that's called Holy Acrimony,
they're only allowed to have one spouse, that's called monotony.'
-- anonymous 5 year old