Subject: Re: What recent Sun Hardware runs NetBSD+X?
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/22/2005 10:02:15
Dans l'épisode précédent (Tue, Mar 22 2005 - 16:54), matthew green nous apprenait que :

>    I can't comment on Ultra boxen of any stripe in this regard.  I have a
>    U2 and two U1s, all of which are sitting idle at the moment and none of
>    which have been in regular use in my setup, for reasons which I can go
>    into if anyone is interested but which aren't really relevant to the
>    topic at hand.  In a past job we had a U1, back when they were new, and
>    aside from the CPU fan seizing up (apparently common with U1s of that
>    era), it doesn't stand out in my memory as worse or better than the
>    rest of the Suns.
>

> FWIW, i had to replace the fan on a U1 cpu - a pentiumII cpu fan
> was exactly what i needed....

 I can "show-off" on that as I tested the "extreme tune your U5" :)
 I switched the main CPU fan (and used some of the PC silent-fan) and
 the main power-supply (using a silent PSU for AMD/Intel). I also
 installed a old noisy IBM 40Go in it inside the "silentmaxx HD-silencer
 v2.0". All this to say I feel happy Sun went to PCI so that replacing
 things costs low :) Even the Adaptec SCSI 29160 can be used with U160
 disks in it (although it is not recognised on PROM).

 My only problem is that NetBSD/sparc64 just freeze every 1 ou 2 days...
 So I can't use my loving tuned U5 right now :)

--
,-- This mail runs ---------.
`------------ NetBSD/i386 --'