Subject: Can't build userland, resultant binaries are not executable
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: Luke Lussier <luke@intrinsix.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/21/2005 21:36:18
Greetings,

I am trying to build distribution on a Ultra1 system running a NetBSD
2.0.1 kernel, but still a 1.6.2 userland since I'm having trouble
getting 2.0.1 fully built.

I'm using the build.sh script in this manner:

	./build.sh -O ../obj -T ../tools -U -j 2 -u tools
	./build.sh -O ../obj -T ../tools -U -j 2 -u distribution

Both complete without error. However, when I examine the files that are
produced in the /usr/obj directory, I find they're not executable:

	bash-2.05b# file df
	df: ELF 64-bit MSB executable, SPARC V9, version 1 (SYSV), for NetBSD,
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
	bash-2.05b# ./df
	bash: ./df: cannot execute binary file

Strangely, the type of file reported by `file' almost matches my current
version of the file:

	/bin/df: setgid ELF 64-bit MSB executable, SPARC V9, version 1 (SYSV),
for NetBSD, statically linked, stripped

I have also tried explicitly setting the -m build option to sparc64 and
sparc, in hopes that I might produce some usable binaries.

Is this normal? Is this userland safe to install?

-Luke